Holiday Recipes: Hemingway Daiquiri and Panettone Chocolate Bread Pudding
By Nancy Tingley, Larkspur
“The past few years my daughter and I have hosted a Christmas cocktail party. We serve hors d’oeuvres like my mother used to make — olives cooked in cheese dough, homemade cheese crackers and pâté. We choose three cocktails and my daughter, who worked as a bartender in college, takes over the bar. The first year, I told her, ‘My friends don’t drink much.’ After the party my daughter said, ‘Rethink that — your friends can drink.’ ”
2 ounces white rum
3/4 ounces fresh lime juice
1/2 ounces fresh grapefruit juice
1/2 ounces maraschino liqueur
Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake for 30 seconds. Then strain and garnish with a lime wedge.
Panettone Chocolate Bread Pudding
By Christian Darcoli, director of culinary for Servino Ristorante, Tiburon
“This holiday recipe is an elevated take on bread pudding. I created it trying to find a way to give more flavor to this very simple dessert. Panettone is a classic Christmas bread in Italy, where I grew up, and making the bread pudding with it makes a huge difference, giving it a more intense flavor, texture and presentation.”
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 pound dark chocolate pastilles
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 liter of heavy cream
5 egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 500°F.
2. Break the panettone into pieces in a bowl.
3. Melt chocolate on low heat with heavy cream.
4. Beat the eggs and the sugar into the mixture.
5. Add the beaten egg to the chocolate and keep stirring the mixture.
6. Bring it to boil and turn off the heat.
7. Pour the chocolate mixture into the panettone, so it soaks it up.
8. Once the panettone has soaked up the chocolate, using a double boiler, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15–20 minutes.
Serve with mascarpone ice cream.
Mascarpone Ice Cream
4 cups heavy cream
2 cups sugar
7 egg yolks
18 ounces mascarpone cheese
Beat the heavy cream, add in the sugar and egg yolks and then the mascarpone cheese. Freeze until